When It Is A Matter Of Justice And Principle, We Are The Firm For You.


Photo of Attorney David Barber with client


  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. blog
  4.  » Making a change: modifying your child support agreement

Making a change: modifying your child support agreement

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2020 | blog | 0 comments

Child support can be one of the most contentious aspects of any divorce, but revisiting that agreement could be even more challenging. If you experience a change in your life, though, modification of your child support agreement could be the best way to ensure that these payments are fair and meet your child’s needs.

What kind of changes are covered?

If you or your former spouse previously stayed at home with the children but has since entered the workforce, that change in income could be a reason for a modification. A loss of employment or a sudden increase in the cost of health insurance cost could also create a substantial change in income.

Your child’s needs could also fluctuate,whether your custody situation changes, their schooling costs increase, or their medical needs require additional care. If the cost of meeting your child’s needs increases substantially, then it is important that your child support agreement is modified to reflect that.

Modifying your agreement requires major changes in your life.

Not every job change, increase in insurance costs or medical need merits an adjustment   to your child support agreement. Kentucky law lays out the guideline that child support orders should change when you or your former spouse experiences a “material change in circumstances” of 15% or more from the guidelines in your child support agreement.

If you have questions, talk to your lawyer.

It can be tempting to handle modifications yourself, especially if you and your former spouse reached an amicable agreement initially. However, without court approval, you could find yourself with a legal challenge down the road because you would be in violation of the court-ordered child support agreement.

How can you avoid a violation of your child support agreement? Speak to an attorney. Your lawyer can help you determine whether these changes in your life count as a material change. They can also help you pursue a modification that continues to meet your child’s needs.

FindLaw Network